Saturday, July 26, 2014

Michael Miller Challenge 2014

I had the opportunity to participate in the Michael Miller Fabric Challenge, as a member of the North Jersey Modern Quilt Guild.   We each received a few cuttings from Michael Miller's new fabric line (Petal Pinwheels) including prints and solids.
Rules -  1)use only Michael Miller fabric and 2) must be quilted.   Deadline to complete project was extended to July 25th, instead of the original date of June due to late distribution of fabrics.

With all the preparations going on for the October 4/5 Autumn Craft Festival at Lincoln Center  ((http:/www.craftsatlincoln.org/myindex.cgi) I was unsure if there was enough time for me to complete the project.

Once I decided on making my favorite bucket hat, instead of a quilt I felt the deadline was achievable.     This is my pattern which i made by rubbing off an old hat, and modifying the shape.

I then proceeded to cut up the fabric in strips, then started sewing various strips together.




Cut and sew more random pieces together until you have one piece of fabric large enough to cut the hat pattern.





Add the batting and the 3rd layer  (inside lining of hat) of fabric to form a sandwich.  Proceed with straight line quilt stitches on the made fabric.
Cut out the hat pieces, and proceed to assemble the hat.

Met the deadline with time to spare.

The completed hat-
My Dad used to wear lots of hats similar to this bucket hat, except with a shorter crown.  In honor of  Dad I will call this the "Aston" bucket hat





1 comment:

  1. I JUST LOVE IT! I KNEW IT WOULD BE GREAT!!! YOU GOT SKILLS MY SISTA!

    ReplyDelete

CREATE ART OR TROUBLE SHOOT WEBSITE

Follow my blog with Bloglovin I've spent the last 2 days tinkering around with my blog and my website trying to figure some things out...