Saturday, January 3, 2015

FROM HEART TO HAND: AFRICAN-AMERICAN QUILTS from the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts


If you were lucky enough to see this exhibit then you will understand when I say it was truly inspirational.  https://montclairartmuseum.org/content/heart-hand-african-american-quilts-montgomery-museum-fine-arts

The quilts were made by African-Americans from Alabama.  While I enjoyed all quilts, I did have some  favorites including Yvonne Wells, a self taught artist,  who's pictorial quilts told stories about the civil-rights movement, religion, etc.  As I strolled through the one room which contained about 10 of Yvonne's quilts, I was  fascinated by the stories attached to each quilt and found myself lingering much longer than I anticipated for the small exhibit.   The level of detail on each quilt was amazing, including the hand quilting.  The quilt using old ties took 160 hours to make + 37 hours just for the embroidery.

If you did not see the exhibit, then come with me on a journey as I share some of the photos I took during my visit. The last day of the exhibit is tomorrow.,



The Higginbothams II dressed in their Sunday best

Add caption




The Whole Armour of God


Housetop/Strip Quilt by Plummer T.Pettway (Gee's Band)



Strings by Mary Lee Bendolph (Gee's Band)



Rosa Parks I- Yvonne Wells


Yesterday: Civil Rights in the South III




Nora's Neckties in 3D


1 comment:

  1. I saw the exhibit, but I'm glad you reintroduced it to me. It's an amazing art form.

    ReplyDelete

CREATE ART OR TROUBLE SHOOT WEBSITE

Follow my blog with Bloglovin I've spent the last 2 days tinkering around with my blog and my website trying to figure some things out...