Thursday, November 6, 2014

Teaching Adventure

I labeled this post "my teaching adventure" as I truly looked at it as something wonderful.   My friends would always ask if I would ever consider teaching a quilingt class, and my response was always no.  I guess I never thought of myself as a teacher, or was it an inner fear that I would not be good at it.   Never-the-less, the opportunity surfaced and I said sure why not.  I know the subject matter,  I love people so why not share what i know.

The class was a basic quilting class to construct a classic piecework quilt called "Trip around the world"(www.pinterest.com/lindakay916/trip-around-the-world)

The quilt top we made is simple and has uniform blocks.  The  method I taught was strip piecing which makes it easier/faster to put the quilt top together.   I had 5 students in my class including a mother/daughter team.  Some of the students had done some sewing before, yet others had not done so in years.  This meant I had to first go through some basics about the sewing machine, including threading, bobbin, and sewing a precise 1/4" seam with a special foot.  I then did a demo on how to cut fabric using a rotary cutter, and how to put the parts together.   3 weeks later all the students had a quilt top they were pleased with.  Of course, the biggest challenge for some was getting a consistent 1/4" seam.   Everyone promised their 2nd "trip around the world" would be more consistent.  Overall, I was pleased with the class and my students enjoyed working on their project.  We are meeting for one more class to sandwich the quilt top with batting/backing and do simple quilting to complete the project.    Please note some photos below.








No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATE ART OR TROUBLE SHOOT WEBSITE

Follow my blog with Bloglovin I've spent the last 2 days tinkering around with my blog and my website trying to figure some things out...